[ddots-l] Re: OT: Formatting computer advice please

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:30:02 -0600

I can't emphasize this enough!  Back up everything!

Have you done all the tried and true things... like scan your computer for viruses, spyware, etc? Have you cleaned your registry recently? Have you looked to see what things are running in the background? Have you gone into msconfig to see what programs start at boot up? All of these things should be done before reformatting your drive. You really don't want to do that if you don't have to.

At 08:21 AM 2/23/2007, David Eagle wrote:
HI, I think I'm going to have to format my computer. I keep getting
dropouts, even when recording just one audio track for only three
minutes. I thought you people would be quite knowledgeable about what
I should and shouldn't do in regards to formatting, pre, post and
during. Any advice would be gratefully received. I do use my laptop
for the internet as well as for audio use, though audio recording is
my primary function on the computer.

I am running windows XP. The first question I have is about the best
way to format the computer. I can't remember if its possible to format
within the recovery/boot CD that comes with the laptop (soney Vaio) or
from  my computer. If I'm not running any programs from my D drive
which is a partition all ready set up by the makers of the laptop
which is my audio drive, is it advisable to format D as well as C or
just C and defrag D?
I'll ask more questions as and when but any extra advice would be great.

Thanks
David Eagle

Sandy Licht

Jeremiah 29:11 - 14 A   .
11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. 14 I will be found by you," says the Lord.