[ddots-l] Re: OT: Formatting computer advice please

  • From: "Mike Christer" <m-christer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:05:36 -0000

        Hey!

I didn't mean to come across as "vague", I was just passing comment, and may
I add, a very important one!
A DAW is not the place to be using E-mail, or browsing the net, and I
thought that this was
common knowledge!

If you buy a system for audio, from any reputable retailer, he/she will tell
you not to use the computer for anything else than registering installed
apps, or updating said software!

When I bought my system, I was a relative novice in terms of using Computers
for music, and I was in an incredible rush to get up and running, (it's a
long story, and I won't bother anyone with it now)!
I was given the assistance of a tutor from the college at which I'd studied
Music Technology, to set up my home studio.

Unfortunately, and totally unbeknownst to me, this character, had neither,
advised me about,  or installed Anti-Virus or Anti-Spy software!

I took it on myself, to install AVG, having heard about the threats of
certain viruses etc., however, I was totally unaware of the threats from
Spyware, (let alone what it was, or what it could do!).

Anyway, to cut a long and very stressful/painful, for me personally, story
short, my computer fell victim to a Bot net!

A Bot net is the kinda thing, that if you met it in the street, you'd wanna
set fire to it, and watch it burn very, very  slowly indeed...

It uses your computer as a kinda outpost, in order to send other crap to
thousands of other poor unsuspecting computers everywhere, and in the
process alters settings deep down in your computers registry and bios, in
order to make it easier for it to carry out it's evil intentions...

All I knew, was that my computer was doing some very strange stuff to me,
like software all of a sudden uninstalling it self, files going awry, and
stuff simply failing to work!

I was fortunate enough, to be rescued by an ex-military hacker, who helped
me re-format, my C and D drives, luckily, my E drive was OK, (this contained
all my Cakewalk Projects, as well as about 30 Gb of samples!

He installed a software app called Zone Alarm, made by a company called,
Zone Labs, this cleaned out everything nasty, and left my system ready to be
reformatted, then recovered, using the manufacturers boot recovery software,
which fortunately, I had managed to save off to an external hard drive!
Don't ask me why I saved this, I guess someone or something was smiling down
on me that day...

That's all I can say

Mike