[ddots-l] Re: Am I in over my head?

  • From: Gudrun Brunot <gbrunot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:31:22 -0700

Just had a thought: existing tutorials, such as CakeTalking, fill a very important need, and we wouldn't ever want to be without them. I was looking at what David Carlson said about buying software with the idea of recording a simple song and being able to play it back. How about a lesson or two that deals with just that: where do you start? The drum track? The bass then. Melody track? What about those nice chord fills? The melody tracks should come last, probably. And what about some backup harmonies? If someone had the patience to design a lesson with a very simple tune that has rhythm, bass, simple chords, and a melody. No mixing yet at this level, just a baro bones recording?

To all you frustrated beginners, my heart goes out to you, and I feel some relief, 'cause I'm one as well. It took me almost a year to get my drums to respond properly on my Yamaha keyboard. I felt gloriously proud, but, the next time around, my drums were offset, so I couldn't get that wonderful drum roll when I hit the F key... Then, I found the transpose function, and I finally had it right. That comment about installing software could be treated in chapter after chapter. That's where you're really alone, noone has the kind of keyboard you have, or you have the wrong kind of sound card... And, what part of the setup is wrong? You start changing around, and pretty soon, you've changed what was right as well, so then, it's back to trouble shooting and checking each parameter...

Vive la musique!

Gudrun