[ddots-l] Re: Am I in over my head?

  • From: David <dheilman1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 07:30:03 -0700

Stephanie, your not the only one on this list that looks at much of what gets posted and has very little understanding to what is being said. I can read the words, but I know little more after the read than before it.

I tend to look at it as eating an Elephant, and if I look at the Elephant as a huge animal that I have to eat all at once, I get overwhelmed. Bite by bite is how I learn this recording software as well as computers in general.

There is no doubt that this stuff is complicated on several levels. Learning to set up the software so it will even work, then getting your screen reader to work with it, then learning the baby steps of recording a track. Then learning a few terms along the way. Then learning to alter the recording levels, the recorded sound, and the play back. then comes setting up the Mix. Plus a lot of other things in between what I have already said.

Not only do you need to learn and practise your favorite instrument, but running the software is a lot like playing an instrument. It too requires much practise before your efforts begin sounding good.

I bought Sonar and after getting it, I realized that Sonar is WAY more than what I needed. Hey, I just wanted to do some simple recording and play back. but instead, I bought the top of the line professional recording package when I should have bought something a lot less professional.

<Chuckle> But, I'm into it far enough, I can not really go backwards, so I press on, with some grumbling and griping along the way.

So even though your an accomplished Pianist, its back to walking Baby steps when it comes to recording. And your not the only one taking Baby steps. I'm sure there are a lot of us out here.

I can't help but wonder how many of us buy equipment that we hope to use and soon find that we can not get it to work with either our screen readers, or just can not master it well enough to get anything useful out of it. So it sits on the shelf.

the problem I see with most manuals is that they are often written by someone that is extremely familiar with what ever the software might be. They assume you the new user, knows more than you actually do. People that are deeply familiar with something have a very difficult time breaking it down into very basic beginner baby steps for the person that really knows nothing. And I do mean nothing.

For most of us, It is like being thrown into a college course and we have yet to attend grade school and high school.

So I am very grateful for lists like this one where others who have jumped into this recording pond before me, have found the answers ahead of me. I can ask them and if I get an answer that is full of terms I do not understand, I then ask them to give it to me again in baby language.

Hopefully I can come up to speed and I then can help others coming into this experience after me.

<Smile> Now if I can just get my computer to play a Midi file I'll be one more tiny baby step closer to my goal.

Cheers!

David

t 05:19 AM 7/4/2005, you wrote:
Hi,

Have to agree with you there! It's hard, and the manual is dry reading. Not only that, but I never learned Windows thoroughly or correctly. I'm a concert pianist, piano teacher and composer, not a professional sound engineer!

I got Sibelius and Sibelius Speaking at the same time. The manual for that is much easier. What do you do with music? Just curious and very relieved to find someone else on this list who's a beginner with the guts to say so. (I mean, just looking at the subject lines of the messages gets me confused. Are they in English or what?)

Stephanie