[softwarelist] with TIFF preview (Ovation Pro for RISC OS)

  • From: P C Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:09:19 +0000 (GMT)

In article <lvjF9oDITPuFFwJ5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> See:

> http://www.davidpilling.net/ovationpro/applets/files/eps.zip

> This is a new applet that gives you the chance to generate
> your own preview for an EPS file.

Thanks very much!

> I've not tried using GhostScript with it...

I must be missing something obvious here, but I've not had much
success yet. As far as I can tell the applet doesn't actually
call the new function eps_makeproxy.

The aliased command

     ps2spr infile outfile -r300 -dEPSCrop

produced a 300dpi (in this case) sprite (outfile) at a bit depth
and colour type appropriate to the contents of the EPS (infile),
and cropped to the bounding box of the EPS (which avoids any
complicated arithmetic involving the supplied bounding box
co-ordinates). So I would have thought a very basic version of
the new eps_makeproxy function could be:

int eps_makeproxy(string & name,string & preview,int x0,int
y0,int x1,int y1,string & to)
{

 return(osclis("wimptask ps2spr "+name+" "+to+" -r300
dEPSCrop"));
}

I've tried this with several EPSs of various filesizes, both
with and without previews, all of which work with the ps2spr
command in a taskwindow but, given an EPS without a preview
image, this still gives the usual grey box and, given an EPS
with a preview, it continues to use that. Including a
messagebox("string"); command at the beginning of the function
doesn't have any effect, whereas the same command at the
beginning of eps_convert /does/ display the message box
provided the EPS contains a preview for it to convert. So it's
definitely calling eps_convert where appropriate, but seemingly
not eps_makeproxy first.

What am I missing?!

--
P. C. Newble
Fenwood, Church Street, Stoke by Nayland, Colchester CO6 4QP, UK