[softwarelist] with TIFF preview (Ovation Pro for RISC OS)

  • From: P C Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:48:16 +0000 (GMT)

In article <zPNAVHDzOfuFFwok@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <sotto voce> I don't like people calling osclis() with a
> literal string.

> In message <4eab153825peter@xxxxxxxxxx>, P C Newble
> <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >Mostly this seems to work, but I have run into (apparently)
> >memory-related problems

> Perhaps the size of the -next slot - task manager or you could
> bracket the osclis() above with calls to increase and
> decrease its size.

Yes, the greater the wimpslot the more reliable it is. But this
is GhostScript's problem, not Ovation Pro's.

> The fact that once it goes wrong it keeps going wrong might be
> due to the string point above.

Yes, since re-writing that line that problem seems to be solved
-- thanks.

In article <rGNWXHHwWnuFFwrd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
   <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've tweeked the EPS applet and uploaded it. Same place as
> yesterday (and same version number)

> http://www.davidpilling.net/ovationpro/applets/files/eps.zip

That does the trick, thanks very much. I can now import EPSs
using all the possible methods I can think of:

i) dragging a file into an empty frame

ii) Embedding a file by dragging it into a text frame

iii) Shift-dragging to invoke the referencing dialogue box

iv) Altering the filename of an existing referenced file to
change to a new file

and in each case I can choose whether or not to use the existing
TIFF preview if there is one, and, if not, to choose an
appropriate resolution for the proxy sprite.

> It is a lot more complicated than one would hope. An EPS file
> can appear in a DDL file, in that case there is no file on
> disc to feed into a conversion program.

No, but since the proxy isn't created by the usual method that's
unavoidable. It's a minor point, I would say

> There is also the case I mentioned when the EPS comes from
> another app via RAM transfer.

Well, some applications handle that better than others on RISC
OS, so it's not something that I would be relying on -- it would
be nice to be able to import JPEGs be dragging them from an ftp
window, for instance, but I can't do that so it's not something
I'd try with an EPS either. I suppose it's similar to the problem
that came up recently (in the context of OPW) of referencing an
image which has been imported via a transfilter. If it has been
through a transfilter then Ovation Pro itself only sees a
temporary filename rather than a real, permanent file, so can't
reference it

> Anyway these two cases excepted you should now have a file to
> process.

Much appreciated, thanks.