[softwarelist] Re: pdf import

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:23:19 +0000

n message <7252eca84e.arnold@arnold.?>, Arnold van der Heijden <arnold@xxxxxxxxx> writes
Attached is the pdf which, when saved in Ovation for Windows,
gives a filesize of 74 mb.

Thanks.

I did some other tests, with jpeg, sprites, without any bitmaps,
without transparacy, but the result is always that the file is
increasing enormously.
So, I would like to hear your opinion about what is happening
here.

I've had a play with this. The conversion from PDF to PostScript does increase the size a great deal (about 74 times)

I've not been able to find anyway of stopping this occurring.

My interpretation would be that the problem is that the JPEG data is turned into a bitmap in PostScript, the loss of compression and the inefficient way that PostScript uses to save files leading to the increase.

I'm not sure what situation you are in. If your material is in PDF format then you have no choice other than to deal with PDF files. If your material sets off in ArtWorks for example, then saving as JPEG would be a better idea.

I converted your PDF file to JPEG format using GhostScript the resulting JPEG was a little smaller than the original PDF. I think this would be a better approach for files like the example - i.e. containing bitmaps.

I have it in mind to offer conversion to JPEG in the TransPDF filter.

Arnold - I've reposted the above to the mail list because replying direct to your address bounced.

I wonder if anyone has any other ideas?