[softwarelist] Re: pdf import

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:34:00 +0000

In message <d4135aa94e.Jo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx> writes

That doesn't make sense to me.  I'm not following all the details in
this discussion so apologies for that but when you have a JPEG compressed
image in your PDF file, you can literally have the same compressed image
data in a PostScript file using DCTDecode filter which you can use on

*can* have the same data, not *must* or *will*

It makes no sense to me either. We're using GhostScript and its epswriter device, that is what appears to be expanding the data. I deduce it is rasterising the JPEGs because there is a resolution parameter, and changing that changes the size of the output file.

But are you sure it is JPEG compressed data in the first place, and not

Well that is how the problem was put to me.

From printing standpoint of view, making a bitmap of lineart based data
sounds to me as last resort to work around problems and is certainly not

Yes, Arnold has just pointed out the snags, I agree. Suppose though that the PDF file only contains a bitmap in the first place.

The real way forward is to be able to place PDF documents in the program
and to output the new design as a PDF file as well which contains the
placed PDF file contents.  It requires a bit more technology than merging
EPS documents in the final PS file... ;-).

I agree.

I'd be interested if you have an insight into how to use GhostScript to convert PDF to EPS without files expanding them.

I had a Google today, and there are many utilities (including Acrobat) for converting PDF to EPS. I suppose one of those would be an alternative - providing of course they do a proper job.