[softwarelist] Re: pdf import

  • From: Arnold van der Heijden <info@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:27:19 GMT

In mailtje <n+MVJrBix+rFFwxG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef je:

> I imagine most of the size comes from the bitmap, how big it is depends
> on the resolution you tell the PDF filter to use and how big (feet and
> inches) the graphic is.
>
> I guess it makes sense to turn down the resolution as much as you can.
> As long as you're printing to a PS printer you only need the bitmaps as
> a guide.

Turning the resolution down means a lower resolution in the output-file.
That is not what I want, in full colour it should be nearby 300 dpi.
The bitmap on screen, the proxy, has a very low resolution and that is
enough as a guide.

Let me give an example: I place a jpeg (1475 x 2000, 250 dpi) in
Artworks in a A5-sheet. It gives a resolution of 90 dpi. The Artworksfile
is 874 kb. Export to pdf gives a file of 1,1 mb. Importing this file 100%
in Ovation in a A5-page and saving this document gives a file of ... 75 mb.
Even exporting from Artworks as a 300 dpi tiff gives only 12 mb.

Producing our A3 newspapers, where importing and placing different pdf-files
on one page is essential, is hard to handle with such great files.

thanks,

--
Arnold
Tekst & Uitleg Schaijk Netherlands op www.uitleg.nl