[softwarelist] Re: Tabs

  • From: Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:59:46 +0200

In article <5144b4cab2dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear one and all [Tab]        Write then... when I press [tab]again
>                               it jumps like this.

This is definitely a Hanging Indent Situation - as Chris Johnson already
suggested. Be aware though that a hanging indent is by no means an
alternative for repeated tabs - it's far superior to it!

Its most striking benefit is that you don't need to change all the tabs or
returns in case you add something to (or remove from) the original text, or
when you decide to move the 75mm tab to a different location: the new text
will always automatically flow properly into the desired margins.

In order to achieve the effect, you should drag the hanging indent on top
of the 75mm tab (the hanging indent is the lower one of the two little
flags at the start of the tab ruler - a hanging flag, so to say), and start
typing whatever you want. No more messing around with tabs or linefeeds or
whatsoever.

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers