[softwarelist] Re: Smart quotes feature

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:47:55 +0000

In message <50fdafd0f0briancarroll@xxxxxxx>, Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> writes

In article <8qnVTrDC86qLFwiV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In message <c6479ffd50.martinv@xxxxxx>, Martin Vethake
<martinv@xxxxxx> writes
> Is it possible to change the glyphs used for the 'Smart
>quotes' feature? Since in Germany we use instead of (•?) (—•)
It's interesting that the representation of Martin's glyphs have
been changed by your quoting of them.  Does this make it
pointless to use beyond-ASCII glyphs in emails?

In my reply as received by me the glyphs look the same as they do in the original, however they've changed in your copy.

I'd imagine that modern mail programs can go beyond 127 codes.