[softwarelist] Re: Smart quotes feature

  • From: Peter Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:06:26 +0000 (GMT)

In message <812222fe50.martinv@xxxxxx>, Martin Vethak
<martinv@xxxxxx> writes

In article <Qgv+RVFk$RrLFw$s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
   <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I wonder how widespread this difference in usage is. First
> time I have heard of it. How did the difference happen.

Different languages have different practices, for instance (and
oversimplifying somewhat):

UK English: raised quotation marks: single and, within that,
double:
    U+2018 . . U+2019, and within that: U+201C . . . U+201D

US English: raised quotation marks: double and, within that,
single:
    U+201C . . . U+201D, and within that: U+2018 . . U+2019

(But UK & US practice varies and has changed over the years)

Italian, European Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, etc.: double
guillemets, facing outwards:
    U+00AB . . . U+00BB

French: double guillemets, facing outwards, but separated by a
space from the enclosed text -- or, for reported speech, no
enclosing marks but a dash instead.

Modern German, Danish (sometimes), Russian (sometimes), etc.:
Double comma at the start, double turned comma at the end:
    U+201E . . . U+201C

Older German, Danish, etc.: Double guillemets, facing inwards:
    U+00BB . . U+00AB

The names given, for instance to HTML entities, tend to be
US-centric, hence &ldquo ('left double quote') for the raised
'66' mark which is a right-hand quote in German. Then there's the
matter of the Adobe morons who couldn't tell the difference
between a quotation mark and a bird, and named two Postscript
glyphs 'guillemotleft' and 'guillemotright'!