[softwarelist] Re: Smart quotes feature

  • From: Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:09:53 +0100

In message <R95u2QE7v8qLFwme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <50fdafd0f0briancarroll@xxxxxxx>, Brian Carroll
> <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> writes
> >In article <8qnVTrDC86qLFwiV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
> ><flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> In message <c6479ffd50.martinv@xxxxxx>, Martin Vethake
> >> <martinv@xxxxxx> writes
> >It's interesting that the representation of Martin's glyphs have
> >been changed by your quoting of them.  Does this make it
> >pointless to use beyond-ASCII glyphs in emails?
>
> In my reply as received by me the glyphs look the same as they do in the
> original, however they've changed in your copy.
>
> I'd imagine that modern mail programs can go beyond 127 codes.

 They do, but there is no guarantee beyond 7-bit. Writing on an Acorn
I use iso-8859-1. When David reads that on a PC he uses Win-1252
which gives these 'funnies'. What puzzles me is the questionmark,
maybe the software uses that when it doesn't know what to display?

Regards
--
Martin Vethake
Uffenkamp Computer Systeme

snailmail: Uffenkamp Computer Systeme
           Gartenstr. 3
           D-32130 Enger-Dreyen
Inhaber: Kai Uffenkamp  USt.-ID-Nr. DE 125 408 721
email    : martinv@xxxxxx
web      : http://www.ucs.de/
voice    : +49-5224-978075
fax      : +49-5224-978076