[softwarelist] Re: Smart quotes feature

  • From: Martin Vethake <martinv@xxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:38:56 +0100

In message <dcede98876881b649a01b4276940f0c1.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Am 26.03.2010 15:36, schrieb David Pilling:
> >> Of course I don't know what these symbols are - give me a Unicode value.
> >> But it seemed to me the scrambling was a result of passing through
> >> Brian's mail program not mine.
> >>
> > That would be U+201E and U+201C then. TypoWiki gives a nice rendering
> >
> >    99/66
> >
> > which BTW is rather astounding because U+201C is named
> > 'double left quote', in Windows at least.
>
> Not particularly astounding as English usage U+201C is used as left double
> quote and U+201D is Right double quote - when I was at school these were
> referred to as 66 and 99.

Astounding to me was they used 'double left quote' in the german name,
albeit we use it on the right. Same as when I think of people driving
on the left side of the road - how can they 8-)

Then again 69 looks far more interesting than 96...

Regards
--
Martin Vethake
Uffenkamp Computer Systeme

snailmail: Uffenkamp Computer Systeme
           Gartenstr. 3
           D-32130 Enger-Dreyen
Inhaber: Kai Uffenkamp  USt.-ID-Nr. DE 125 408 721
email    : martinv@xxxxxx
web      : http://www.ucs.de/
voice    : +49-5224-978075
fax      : +49-5224-978076