[softwarelist] Re: Rotated pamphlet printing

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:31:11 +0100

In message <lNvs17AUzqdQFwXh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,

> In message <52dce035fcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Richard Torrens (lists)"
> <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>> it definitely can be done, only snag is no one understands how.
>>No one includes D Pilling Esq?

> I'd set off from the pamphlet script and make some small changes.

>>I suspect there is a significant learning curve to O-Pro scripting? It's
>>based on C I believe.

> Scripting is easy peasy. There's loads of tutorial material and many
> people have written scripts.

I did an article some time ago about writing OPro scripts and applets
that appeared in Foundation RISC User. I did it in two parts. One is
primer about the script language itself, which is a good place to
start if you've never programmed in C. I do make some comparisons with
BBC BASIC as I know there are many people who have programmed in BASIC
but never tackled other languages.

The second part goes on to explain some simple scripts, then follows
with an example applet that can be used as a starting point for
further applets.

http://www.dentrassis.com/opro_script/

> The hurdle is an imposition format - bear
> in mind that understanding what you want imposition to do is hard
> enough, I've spent a long time studying the diagrams in "The New
> Designer's Handbook".

Yes, many years ago I started to delve into the imposition scripts.
I'm not sure if I ever got it working fully, and I can't even remember
what I was trying to achieve. I sort of gave up trying to get OPro to
do the final imposed output when I moved over to doing all my
imposition (on the dark side) in Adobe Acrobat Pro with an imposition
plugin.

As David has said, the best way to go about it is to study the
existing imposition scripts and see if you can adapt and tweek them to
what you need. I'll need a copy of the Script Language Reference Guide
to hand. It's on the OPro CD as an OPro document or as PDF. I believe
David can also supply it as a printed book, if he has any left.
There's also my StrongHelp version which is useful when used with a
good text editor such as StrongEd or Zap[1]. It's available from:
http://www.crawford-print.co.uk/opro.php [2]

[1] If you are using RISC OS.

[2] Yes, I know my Opro resources are all over the place, on different
websites. I'm hoping to sort that out soon when I finish my new
site... one day! I've also got a few more OPro applets that I've been
developing that will hopefully go up there as well.