[softwarelist] Re: PDF problem

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:15:41 +0100

In article <470A07FF.2060609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Christopher Bryant <christopher.bryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gavin Crawford wrote:
> > If it's actually being printed on the press using just two pantone
> > inks (128 and 282) then the colours in your document/PDF must be set
> > as being Spot colours. Separations will have to be used from the PDF
> > to send the required spot colour breakdown to the imaging device
> > (such as an imagesetter or platesetter).

>     Thanks for the reply, but I fear this is not to the point. There
> is no problem about the separation; this has worked OK for several
> years. What the overseas printers want (I think) is for the pdf to
> name the two colours correctly, rather than offering dummy cmyk values
> (actually pure y and c).

Do you mean that for the colours you have used the CMYK values of
100/0/0/0 to represent Pantone 282 and 0/0/100/0 to represent the
Pantone 128? If so, then it sounds to me that you are supplying a CMYK
document and they are using just the Cyan and Yellow plate separations
to form the spot colour plates.

> What they seem worried about, although they
> have got it right the four times so far, is that instead of putting on
> the machine the right colours 128C and 282C - not 128, 282 - some dozy
> or unsupervised employee may one day use pure yellow and cyan as
> apparently specified. (Perhaps this has already happened, and had to
> be suppressed?)

128 is 128C - the 'C' designation denotes that on the printed Pantone
colour swatch the ink is printed on coated (gloss) paper. The swatch
will also have 'U' equivalents that denote un-coated stock. The ink is
the same just printed onto different types of stock. When they mix (or
order) the ink they will get Pantone 128.

I can see that they would need to clearly tell which plate should be
printed using the which ink. If the plates have been produced using the
yellow and cyan separations, then yes, there is a possibility a mistake
could be made when it comes to running on the press.

>     They have told me the names of the colours, and  hopefully sent me
> an Acrobat JobOption file to use with Distiller, but this was a dud as
> well as having no CMF with it. So I think what I need is a working
> Colour Management File.

As the original document hasn't been authored in an Adobe application,
I'm not sure distiller would recognise the colour names defined in the
PostScript generated by Ovation Pro.

--
Gavin Crawford
email: gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx