[softwarelist] Re: PDF problem

  • From: Christopher Bryant <christopher.bryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:35:43 +0100

Gavin Crawford wrote:
If it's actually being printed on the press using just two pantone inks
(128 and 282) then the colours in your document/PDF must be set as being
Spot colours. Separations will have to be used from the PDF to send the
required spot colour breakdown to the imaging device (such as an
imagesetter or platesetter).

Thanks for the reply, but I fear this is not to the point. There is no problem about the separation; this has worked OK for several years. What the overseas printers want (I think) is for the pdf to name the two colours correctly, rather than offering dummy cmyk values (actually pure y and c). What they seem worried about, although they have got it right the four times so far, is that instead of putting on the machine the right colours 128C and 282C - not 128, 282 - some dozy or unsupervised employee may one day use pure yellow and cyan as apparently specified. (Perhaps this has already happened, and had to be suppressed?) They have told me the names of the colours, and hopefully sent me an Acrobat JobOption file to use with Distiller, but this was a dud as well as having no CMF with it. So I think what I need is a working Colour Management File.
   Yours
     Christopher