[softwarelist] Re: PDF problem

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:55:05 +0100

In article <4708C194.2010105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Christopher Bryant <christopher.bryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Re the recent discussion of making pdfs, I wonder if one of you
> Photoshop experts can help me with a colour problem, please. I use
> Acrobat (in MS WXP) for creating a pdf from postscript. What I need (I
> think) is a Colour Management File for use with an Acrobat JobOption,
> which has the effect of converting two particular rgb or cmyk values
> into two Pantone colours, either as e.g. 128C, 282C, or as a
> combination of fractions of named colours. This is for printing a
> two-colour mag cover, and the colours are not OvPro chart colours, nor
> simple cmyk either. Up to now the conversion has been done invisibly by
> our printers, but we now have a new foreign printer... The not very
> helpful Acrobat help file on colours says colour management files have
> to be made and saved in Photoshop or Illustrator, and that's about all
> it says. I can't afford to buy either just for this purpose. Can
> anything useful be said about the format of these files, or can anyone
> provide a specimen, if I may put it like that?

If it's actually being printed on the press using just two pantone inks
(128 and 282) then the colours in your document/PDF must be set as being
Spot colours. Separations will have to be used from the PDF to send the
required spot colour breakdown to the imaging device (such as an
imagesetter or platesetter).

If you specify the colours as CMYK then they will be separated across
the CMYK plates, but as you have said it is being printed in two
Pantone colours then no cyan, magenta, yellow or black plates will be
used.

If you specify the colours as RGB then they will usually be converted to
CYMK first, then the above will apply.

--
Gavin Crawford
email: gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx