[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and RTF

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:04:25 GMT

In message <51aed27501dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Jan, dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> There is obviously something amiss with the OvPro RTF Saving.

> Remember my quest back in January when getting Her indoors to use OvPro
> instead of the Publisher thing.

> A sort of works around was used, put the OvPro.rtf into Abiword then
> export as RTF which will load into Word okay.

> The problem has now become far worse.
> Previously she was using sexless quotes, but now using OvPro has taken to
> using sexed quotes.

> OvPro.Rtf makes a real mess up of it.
> Oh it appears to have done the translation okay, but when loaded into
> AbiWord, MSWord, etc the start quote/quotes are missing and the end
> quote/quotes are the start quote/quotes way around.

> She is totally urinated off with the OvPro experience and has now gone
> back to Imp Publisher.

> Anyone know what's going on here as I certainly don't.

Sounds like the inverse of the problem I get importing from Word into
OPro/RISC OS.
I load the document into Writer (stripped down Easiwriter), and save
as text. Then I load the text into OPro - I'm not interested in
preserving styles, effects etc - I do that to the house style within
OPro.

All the quotes, single and double are not mangled, and I have to go
through and manually replace them.

It's caused by the different character encoding between Windows and
RISC OS - RISC OS uses Latin-1 while Windows uses some American
standard. The sexed quotes have different ASCII code numbers in the
different encodings, so come out as different characters.

I don't think disabling import of sexed quotes will help, as the
character codes are not the correct Latin-1 codes for sexed quotes.

One day I'll get sufficiently annoyed to write a text translator, and
it will be just as easy to make it reversible.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx