[softwarelist] Re: OPro for Mac?

  • From: Michael Talibard <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:08:23 +0000

On 19 Nov 2007, at 14:21, Jack Evans wrote:

I have just acquired a MacMini (according to model they cost - a mere (?)
- £399 or £499) with Leopard OS.

It's very pretty and seductive and apt to make one drool.

I've had mine for many a moon, and it remains wonderful - as is
my Iyonix.

I agree with other contributors to this thread that Pages is not
a patch on OPro. But then, if you're basically a RiscOS man, as I am,
you won't have bought your Mac Mini to do word-processing with -
you've already got that sorted.

So, a bit off-topic (sorry, but bear with me):-

My every computing session involves both machines. I might start
by checking my email, which could be either, but I use the Mac. Next
I may write a letter, or design that play programme: Opro, obviously.
Then suppose I'm preparing a talk on Winslow Homer for the Art
History group (images to download from cyberspace, and associated
text too). For the web, Safari on the Mac, obviously: park them on the
desktop there. But the images need doctoring, which means Photodesk,
and where I want to store them is my Art History database, which is
Datapower. Well, no need to move them just yet: I can treat the Mac
as another disc seen from the Iyonix, and directly load text into Edit,
or images into Photodesk; I can fiddle with them, rename them, delete
or save them into either machine; print from either, etc.

The short version of all this is: 'Don't choose between MacOS and
RiscOS - have the best of both worlds.'