[softwarelist] Re: OPro for Mac?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:36:21 +0000

In message <4f443a4875jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jack Evans <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I'm sure that David will have assessed this from his viewpoint, taking
account of his priorities, and I wonder what his thoughts are now in the
present circumstanes.

I don't think I am about to do a Mac version of OP.

I am inclined to think that I should have taken Acorn's advice and gone off to work on the Mac (in 1996!). I didn't because I've never had anything to do with Macs, I felt there was competition in the form of Quark, I couldn't believe Acorn were packing up and at the time the Mac looked to be in trouble.

The Windows version represents years of work (probably as much effort as went into the RISC OS original). It has not paid off. Yes I've not marketed it well enough. However I feel it does not do enough to be competitive. So I'm left in the position I have been in before, if I do a few more years work then it might sell. Then again behind the next mountain there may be yet another one to climb.

Doing a Mac version would be another gamble on the same lines as Windows, perhaps two years full time work, at the end of which someone will say "oh it would be OK if only it did XYZ".

The Mac market may well be more suitable for an individual programmer than the Windows market.

If anyone feels they could make a success out of marketing OP for Windows - I'm prepared to give you 30% of the retail price of each copy you sell. However what you're not allowed to do is make unlimited promises about adding features.