[softwarelist] Re: OPro for Mac?

  • From: John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:08:22 +0000 (GMT)

On 19 Nov, Jack Evans <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have just acquired a MacMini (according to model they cost - a mere (?)
> - £399 or £499) with Leopard OS.

> It's very pretty and seductive and apt to make one drool. In fact I'd be
> willing to bet that when word gets around, a lot of those PC users who
> are as fond of Windows as we are, will be switching over to Macs. (Don't
> worry, I have no immediate plans to give up on RISC OS).

> All that leads me to believe that the market size for Mac software will
> grow which would provide a worthwhile opportunity for a Mac version of
> OPro.

> I'm sure that David will have assessed this from his viewpoint, taking
> account of his priorities, and I wonder what his thoughts are now in the
> present circumstanes.

It seems remarkable that Macs are little faster than RISC OS in many areas of
working (graphics and searching are exceptions) having the Windows' vice of
bloatware. Worse is that they are even more determinedly foreign (unless you
are a USAian) than Windows!

Whilst Mac OS is (like RISC OS) more intuitive to use than Windows there are
some very obvious differences - and Mac Users may not take to those
differences if kept in OPro for OS X, especially as there isn't as much to
gain from the difference as there is for Windows Users.

--
        John Cartmell   john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
        Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527         www.qercus.com