[softwarelist] Re: OPro RISC OS - controlling text file import

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:12:05 +0100

In article <4C7B2A60.2000409@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Keith & Elizabeth Hopper <qnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29/08/10 23:31, David Pilling wrote:
> > In message <2f7f594e51.Crawfords@mail>, Gavin Crawford
> > <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

> > Perhaps you could call it "de-bobbleiser" [1]

> > [1] Mac + knitting pun

>       I've always wanted a knitted Macintosh - my wife keeps
> threatening me with one!

They don't really exist: this is just a stitch-up...

Anyway, the business of smart quotes and associated matters has long
been a complex issue, especially with different fonts' character
mappings (public domain fonts brought over from other platforms in
particular).

I suspect there is no sensible universal way to solve this: it would
need a character table for every font; though that at least would allow
a specific font to be picked for the stitching in which one would have
no mapping for the double-hyphen, either as supplied or by the user
editing that fon't mapping.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!