[softwarelist] Perils of Windows

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pilling <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:37:39 +0100

Hi,

A week ago, I was interested in pictures of "hypogeal germination", so I Googled it, ended up at a web site with some video, which I played out of curiosity. I left the computer with the video paused.

When I came back, "Antimalware Doctor" (which is a piece of malware) had exploded over the computer.

Getting rid of this occupied me for most of the week.

I was using Google Chrome, but I had the latest version, it occurs to me that I probably didn't have the latest version of some video player (e.g. flash).

The conclusion is that not only do you need automatic updates to everything turned on, you also need to know about updates for obscure pieces of software you've never heard of.

The general idea here is that websites supply corrupt content which exploits bugs in software to take control of computers.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK