[softwarelist] Re: Graphics

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:45:27 +0100

Hi,

In message <514e05fcd6dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
The whole copy/paste Jpeg thing has really surprised me, as I have been
under the impression, for all the many years I've been using MS Windows
that you could copy and paste almost anything to almost anything...

Well you can, but it's how does the source know that you'd like to save as JPEG and how does the destination know that you'd like to load as JPEG.

You might assume the source would say "I've loaded this as JPEG, therefore I will save in the same format".

From the Colour Jpeg of 639K to the Greyscale of 451K  I make that just
under 30 percent, rough mental calc.

There is one catch, you need to load colour jpeg, save (as colour) and then grey scale, save, and compare the two saved images, not the original with the grey one.

When I was doing my test I found load jpeg, save (colour) jpeg gave a big saving in space.