[softwarelist] Re: Graphics

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:14:49 +0100

In article <4ba1504d51.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <514d4b9695dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Examining the pictures now, shows them to all be .Bmp files. What
> > a magical transformation, we started with Jpegs and ended up with
> > full sized Bmp.

[ . . . ]

> That has nothing to do with OvationPro. This is Windows for you.
> Windows programs never copy and paste JPEGs via the clipboard. That
> simply does not happen.

> So, strictly speaking, the reason is that your windows graphics
> editor did not offer OvationPro a JPEG, but the editor is not
> really to blame because that is not expected behaviour under
> Windows.

I frequently put greyscale images into a parish mag I DTP. A way that
works for me is:

I first convert the colour image to greyscale in Photoshop Elements;
saving it at very low quality (0 or 1) within the RISC OS environment.
Then I see what size the JPEG looks like in relation to the document,
and normally resize it by scaling it in ChangeFSI. If I also save it
from there as a Sprite, the file size seems to get a lot smaller and
the resulting document generally loses many Megabytes cumulatively.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx