[softwarelist] Re: Graphics

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:27:05 +0100

Hi,

On the greyscale conversion. I would have thought it was worthwhile - but it's not going to work via the clipboard.

If you load into DPScan, use the grey scale option, and then save to disc, you'll see what the saving is (about 10% [1]), DPScan is clever enough to spot gray scale images and use the appropriate JPEG format.

Going via the clipboard, you need the source to offer JPEG as a format, and the destination to both accept it and give it a greater priority than other formats.

Windows has the concept of "Paste - special", a paste option that lets you have some control over formats. RISC OS would be no better, and I suspect that not everyone would want a given behaviour.

[1] surprised me.