[softwarelist] Re: Converting documents to Quark

  • From: David Boddie <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 01:23:59 +0200

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:27:17 +0100, David Pilling wrote:
> In message <200806130120.22487.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Boddie
> <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

> > The non-linked text problem or the interoperability with Quark problem?
>
> Well both. I know I wrote OP so that you can't link two frames which both
> contain text - what a stupid limitation...

:-(

> > I suppose you'll either have to choose another intermediate format that
> > can keep the layout information
>
> That format being?

Good question! If the publisher can accept the QXML format that Andy
mentioned then maybe that's the way to go.

> > Is there any chance the publisher can accept another format that Quark
> > can import fairly reliably?
>
> Well yes. One reason I ask the question here is that it gives you a chance
> to say what you'd like, if I'm going to do any work it might as well be
> useful to everyone.

Fair enough. You might find it useful to write an exporter to produce files
in a custom XML-based format for OP documents. That way other people can
struggle with the task of targeting specific file formats without disturbing
you too much - or perhaps you like doing this kind of conversion work. :-)

> You might know what works well with Quark, or what would be useful in
> general.

Actually, I don't, but your question made me go and check to see what
formats (if any) Scribus can export to, but I didn't see anything of use.

It also made me remember a demonstration of application automation I'd seen,
involving a DTP package on Windows, but that approach would require that
_you_ are running Quark (on a Mac, I presume) and I didn't want to suggest
that. ;-)

David