[softwarelist] Re: Converting documents to Quark

  • From: David Boddie <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:20:22 +0200

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:43:53 +0100, David Pilling wrote:

> Someone has approached me with a book he has done in Impression. His
> publishers want it in Quark format. The book is structured as lots of
> frames with text in - there's no large body text that flows through the
> document, instead each page has four non-linked frames with text in.
>
> I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to how to tackle this problem.

The non-linked text problem or the interoperability with Quark problem?

> I'm considering writing some software to help, if I do that I want to make
> the software useful for the users of Ovation Pro.
>
> I can load the documents into Ovation Pro, the question is what format to
> save them out in?

I suppose you'll either have to choose another intermediate format that can
keep the layout information or - if you have access to Quark running on a
Mac - hope that Quark has some kind of automation interface you can use to
insert the text in the right places.

> Approaches I have tried and discarded are - print to PDF, PDF to Word
> conversion (loses all the style information), save text as DDF, DDF to Word
> using Techwriter (hard work because there are so many stories).

Is there any chance the publisher can accept another format that Quark can
import fairly reliably?

David