[csdn-sa] Re: Action Items from 12 September

  • From: Ian Loxton <ilox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CSDNetwork <csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:16:57 +0930

Ian Mcleod wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have a standard label to use - maybe even with a
> nice logo representing the Adelaide CSDN.

Just checked. I use the "Neato - Fellows" label maker. Using generic sheets
from Celcast I can get 20 labels for under $10 so let's say a good ballpark
figure might be $1 per label.

Printing up a few label sheets ahead of time is no real problem, Redhat and
Mandrake, plus the "office suite" CD would be all we need to have on hand. The
tricky bit is putting the label on the CD and that really needs the applicator
tool to get a good job. The tool can be bought on its own I think. I guess you
could also use an old spindle case without much problem. Let me work on this
and get back to you.

If we could standardise on a design for each label - note that I think there
are restrictions on using the distro's logo but I await correction on that -
including some form of logo for us, and an email address for contacting us,
then I would be happy to develop templates for these.

Any others using the Neato system?  Does this sound a proposition?

Later... Just tried a bad label on a coaster using a 10 disc spindle case.The
case had a small lip at the bottom of the centre post which looked about right
for the label to fit around. Not a tight fit and there is nothing but eyesight
to ensure the label is centred. With many drives spinning at 50 something
times that is too much of an error to be acceptable. If you have not had a CD
destroy itself in a drive then let me tell you from experience, not a pretty
sight <G>

We better look seriously into this business of labelling our product as I
think it adds such a huge degree of professionalism although at considerable
extra raw material cost.

Cheers,  Ian

--
This is the Computer Software Distribution Network - SA