[csdn-sa] Re: Action Items from 12 September

  • From: David Fitch <davidf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Kennison <marjon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:30:58 +0930

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:02:27AM +0930, John Kennison wrote:
> I don't know about other people, but I have been meaning to purchase a DIY CD
> labeller for personal use anyway. The cost of labels is I think $1 per each,
> maybe just a little less and I really do not think they will use that much
> ink. I'm willing to use my own personal inkjet for that purpose, as long as I
> break out even at the end of the day I'm happy. The main CD that will use the
> most ink, is the OpenOffice.org CD, because of the logo required; oh well,
> how many of them will really be distributed anyway.

yes I've been meaning to get a labeller anyway.
Re: complicated logos, can just do a small version or not at all,
just the product name, version, date, architecture etc.

> I think printing & pressing runs make life complicated, especially
> considering that we are supposed to be providing an ad-hoc service to people.
> The only real time that I pressing run would be vaulable is when a we are
> expecting a large demand of RedHat or Mandrake (new release).

pressed cds is (a) more expensive and (b) leaves you/us with stock
on hand which if it doesn't all go means someone's left out of pocket.

> I don't know how people feel about the strathfiled $0.49c blank CD's, while
> they look unattractive with their logo on the front. With an appropiate
> label, they'd look professional and I use them all the time for my burning
> requirements and I've had no problems. I have a friend that is obsessive
> about the quality of his CD's and he uses these and that's the best praise
> that I can give them. I also like the fact, that they come with paper sleeves
> to hold the CD. Other people's mileage may vary and if anybody has
> suggestions for CD's at resonable prices I'm very interested in find out.

I use (and we use at work) the laser 800Mb 48x ones.
Not had any problems with them.
They're gold in colour and completely blank (have no logos etc
already on them).
I get them for $38 per spindle of 100 (incl GST).  They come
with no sleeves/covers/boxes.  If you're interested I can post
the list of different cd blanks I can get and the prices.

Dave.
--
This is the Computer Software Distribution Network - SA