[cryptome] Re: The Dark Web

  • From: Aftermath <aftermath.thegreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:34:46 -0800

I think I can help with this one.

In a nutshell the dark web or deep web are websites and services that you
cannot access from the regular internet with out anonymizing software such
as Tor https://www.torproject.org

According to wikipedia the definition of the deep web is:
Deep Web (also called the Deepnet,[1] Invisible Web,[2] or Hidden Web[3])
is the portion of World Wide Web content that is not indexed by standard
search engines.

Most well known hidden service I think would be the silk road. It allowed
people to sell drugs without their home IP addresses being discovered. The
site ultimately failed, likelybecause this technology isnt fool-proof. LE
have ways, or have had ways in the past to de-anonymize connections and
find the true IPs of the users as well as the hidden services.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Web
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet_(file_sharing)

As far as them banning it, my opinion  I doubt any law they pass will be
effective against an open source project like tor unless they implement a
national firewall at every ISPs level similar to the great firewall of china

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I heard a politician tonight, on UK Question Time,  mention "The Dark
Web".  It sounded really mysterious and dangerous and full of criminals and
hackers and terrorists and child molestors and illegal pornograpy and nine
headed monsters.  She wanted it banned. Does anyone know what the dark web
is and would they care to explain it to me in words I can understand, so
that I can make up my mind whether it should be banned or not...:-) .
And...how do i get access to it....:-)