Re: USF4 changes!

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:52:32 +0200

ST is one of those games where any character can win if they land a 3-hit
combo (or a tick-throw loop), so it's kinda hard to draw up a tier list.
So they have to rely on information from top players to draw up matchup
lists because they're considered to be the ones with the best insight into
matchups (I don't agree).  Anyway, so if a player sucks at footsies,
they'll give a different score to a matchup that someone else will, even if
they're a top player.  When they retire from the scene, someone else gives
their opinions on the matchups.  Western players also seem to have less
conservative matchup scores than players in US and Europe (it's still
evident in USFIV).  On a Japanese tier list you'll see a lot of 8:2s and
7:3s, whereas on a Western tier list you'll see more 6:4s.  There's also
the question of character tech.  Old T.Hawk for example was considered
bottom tier in the west, while in Japan he was always thought to be top
tier because they knew about this command grab option selects for many
years now.

One thing that most people agree on is that the top characters in the game
are Akuma (usually banned), O.Sagat, Vega, Dhalsim and Boxer.