RE: [cpsig] CPR Gas Electric 9004 Information

  • From: PBowers <waiting@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:57:18 -0400

At 05:27 PM 7/24/06, you wrote:

>I'd like to know when the yellow and red stripe paint scheme was
>introduced, also whether the snow-pilot was a winter only feature.
Going at this from a slightly different angle, C.1951 CP's electric lines, the LE&N and GRR started painting the solid maroon ends of the cars with a nine panel checkerboards under the windows, which incidentally, were very similar to CP's corporate marine flag which had a six panel checkerboard. The window area itself appears to have been painted yellow on some cars. A photo on May 3rd, 1953 a freshly painted car displays the diagonal inverted V paint scheme on the ends. By 1955 the stripes wrap around onto the sides and extend down the sides beyond the door. Locos also appear to have been painted similarly during the same time period. It appears that the front colour on these cars were yellow and black stripes or checkerboards.

Now the interesting thing is the Gas Electrics also had this checkerboard treatment in the early days so I think we can expect the timeline would follow what was on the electric cars.

My two cents and open to discussion.

Peter Bowers