[CTS] Re: True Mobile Card

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:13:23 -0500

You should have a door on the bottom that you open and stick the "miniPCI"
card into then hook up a main and aux cable since this card is listed as
"integrated" rather than PCMCIA that goes into a slot. Check your manual for
the WIFI door. There should be a black and white cable with an odd looking
brass connector on the end of each one. Once the card is put into place like
a large DIMM chip  you put the white on MAIN and the black on AUX -
carefully place them and then snap them in place - they have a retainer that
self locks once pushed down correctly. Don't force them if they don't feel
right of you will damage the built in cables - the black and white go to
antenna pads in the laptop - likely in the LCD lid where you can't see them.
Once in and powered up your XP should detect and start the Wifi looking for
"hotspots" or "access points".

Now if for some reason its a silver enclosed card with a black end on one
side (antenna) and the other with tiny holes for conenction with pins then
you have the PCMCIA version and y ou need to find the PCMCIA slot(s) and
carefully insert it, usually label up. No antenna connections as it's under
the DELL label. Basically the TrueMobile is a relabeled Orinoco card. The
installation instructions (for the PCMCIA aka "PC card") with pretty
pictures is here

http://www.wireless.utoronto.ca/setup/drivers/TrueMobile/ug/en/intro.htm#net
work

Now for the conenction you will need a wireless network whether it is you
sitting in a restaurant or the airport connecting to an open (or even pay
type) hotspot - or to your own home network using either a router with
AP/access point capabilities or a separate AP/access point attached to
either your router or hub/switch. Imagine that the true mobile is a network
card but instead of cable you use radio over the air - that easy. well in
order to hookup to other machines you need a way for them to talk to the
TrueMobile over the air as well so you need an access point.

Not really hard - if Best Buy's "Geek Squad" morons can set up wireless then
it is not that hard at all. Of course after you get that you need to trim it
out and set security so that I don't park in front of your house and connect
to your network LOL

I setup an entire 2 county area with Motorola Canopy back in 93 in Nebraska
and here in 94 for 3 counties - once the idea of how it works hits you then
it's a matter of the fine points.

---------------------

Manufacturer Info Company Name:

Web Site:Dell

http://www.dell.com

Product Summary Name:

Compatible with: True Mobile cards

Odyssey Client
Type:Integrated WLAN Adapter Card
RADIUS Support:
Platforms Supported:Windows XP
Platforms Not Supported:

WLAN Protocols Supported:EAP-TTLS, EAP-TLS, EAP-PEAP, LEAP, EAP-MD5
WLAN Protocols Not Supported by Hardware:

Minimum Firmware Required:
Minimum Driver Required:1400-Driver 3.20.23.0
1150-Driver 7.42.0.300
1300-Driver ?

Product Description
The 1150,1300, and 1400 work. Please use the lates Dell drivers and
firmware. In some cases, as in the 1400, you have to disable the shipping
supplicant (capable only of open-static) that is interfering with other WLAN
supplicants like Odyssey. For the 1400 disbale the 'WLTRYSVC' service. We
have had reports that the 1150 can have problems, depending on
driver/firmware, installationorder of Agere drivers before/after Dell
drivers etc. The above driver for the 1150 works, but may have issues that
we could not determine in other customer scenarios. This is a link to the
latest 1150 drivers we could find, however using non Dell drivers, is an
unsupported Dell configuration-use at own risk and only after attempting
Dell
drivers/firmware:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5878424~root=remark,
5878424~mode=flat. No testing on non XP platforms occurred, should work on
W2K for example."