[CTS] Re: Itunes download

  • From: Ross Nelson <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:04:00 -0600

On Jan 28, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Eric C. Vogel wrote:

Who uses WMA DRM? Goto www.playsforsure.com Walmart, Y!, MusicMatch, FYE,
AOL. Oh there is only 8
http://www.playsforsure.com/AdvancedSearchResults.aspx? searchtype=BrowseStor
es&cat=StoreTypePanel&index=0

Apple, you can only buy from iTunes. Microsoft MSN and others you can buy
your music from.

Only one company makes the iPod.

Correct. And I'd love to see iTunes and iPods support WMA. It'd make life a lot easier for everyone.

Hmm Microsoft 111 different models from DIFERENT VENDORS:
http://www.playsforsure.com/AdvancedSearchResults.aspx? searchtype=BrowseDevi
ces&cat=CapacityPanel&index=0

Now if only the players were supported on something other than Windows —I've yet to run into one that is. My previous MP3 player could do WMA, but I couldn't get it to work on my desktop under Linux and BSD nor on my OS X laptop.

The reason WMP was pulled on Mac was because Apple would not give Microsoft
what it needed to include WMA DRM into it (Cuts into Apples iTunes business)
so Microsoft desided to pull out. Microsoft pulled most of its consumer apps
off Apple.

Yes, Apple does some evil and stupid stuff. See below comment.

A lot of their Mac software isn't good. Logically, they focus on Windows versions. I'd do the same in their shoes.

And everyone else was pointing finger at Microsoft in the past.

I was *just* talking to my mom about Microsoft before I came back into my room. In the last few years, Microsoft has stopped seeming so evil. Apple...I'm kind of worried about them.

Windows VISTA runs on a bunch of vernder PC's including Apple computers

Does it? I've not heard of any successful runs, only people frying their EFI (~BIOS) by trying.

OS X only runs on Apple Computers

I've got a friend running it on a self-built x86 box.

If you want to pay premium prices, and lock yourself in to hardware and
software and services, Apple is the way to go.

Linux runs fine on this if I didn't want to run OS X, FreeBSD 6 either runs well or is close to running well on it. :-)

** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/
DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm