[CTS] Re: DVD burner ? RSS news reader ?

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:37:25 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2005 12:08:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> You shouldn't be recording MP3s on CDRW discs.

     Why not?  I'm told that cd-rw's hold info much better than cd-r
(something to do with the dyes used to make cd-r's not holding up as long as
cd-rw's),
and SO often, I don't keep everything on cd anyway.  By that I mean; I tend
to change the running order of songs every so often based on new finds of older
songs to add to a particular collection.  I like to keep things in
chronologic running order.  So it makes no sense at all to waste a cd-r on
something
that I'm going to replace in a few months or years anyway.  And, with some
projects, I've only got the music on cd on a temporary basis anyway.  I only
use
cd-r's for a project if I know I'm never going to change it.
     As I'm very new to this MP3 stuff (putting it onto cd's, anyway), I had
to try three different times to get the first mp3 cd made on this one project
because it wasn't coming out in the order I wanted it.  I would've blown 3
cd-r's doing it on them.  And I've just found out yesterday that it's STILL not
right.  This way (doing them on cd-rw), I got the chance to erase the cd,
correct the mistakes and try again and never waste a single cd in the process.
If
I had only stuck to cd-r's all these years, I'd have LOTS of very expensive
coasters by now.  I remember a few years ago I was trying to burn a cd-r of
music by Lollipop Factory, because I LOVE their music, and they're friends of
mine
and told me I can make copies of their stuff if I want to.  I put in a cd-r,
started the process and just as I clicked the button to burn I remembered
something I needed to do first, so I hit cancel and stopped the process
immediately.  I now have a completely finished cd-r of the first 10 seconds of
their
album!  Back then, I didn't know that if I stopped the cd from burning in the
computer it would also finalize it.  I could stop recording at any point on the
Tascam and go back later anytime I felt like it and finish recording the same
cd-r, so I thought that stopping the computer from burning would also allow me
to use that cd later.

                             Dale