[COMP] Re: Maxtor Hard Drive Problems

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:11:34 -0500

> But will this make any difference since the BIOS will
> still only see the first 33GB of the drive?
> No matter which mode (LBA, LARGE, AUTO) I use in the
> BIOS settings to access the drive, the largest it will
> see is 33512MB.

Not necessarily.  Linux doesn't use the BIOS for much there.  (And win2k
shouldn't either, but you never know, and you can't exactly *fix*
anything, eh?)

> I take it motherboard manufacturers do not quote
> how large a disk their BIOS will recognise for a
> particular board, yes?

Any recent bios revivision should handle it.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!