[COMP] Re: Maxtor Hard Drive Problems

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:44:19 -0500

> My question is, has anyone had similar problems or
> know why Win2000 will not allow any modifications
> to the drive?  I checked the Abit website for a BIOS
> upgrade, and although there is an update, it does not
> mention anything about fixing the 33GB limit on the
> BIOS.  Does this mean the update will probably not
> contain a fix, or do the BIOS manufacturers not
> list these types of fixes?
> Also, does anyone know of a motherboard(preferably
> AMD Athlon board) that will support a drive this
> size out of the box?

Hmm, it sounds like it could be a BIOS issue to me, but I remember that
one being more of recognizing anything beyond 8gigs, not 33.  You could
try just booting any linux boot disk just to see how large it sees the
disk as being, and even fdisk it from there.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!