[COMP] Re: Maxtor Hard Drive Problems

  • From: "Mark Symonds" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:32:26 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shane McKeown" <shane_mckeown@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 1:06 AM
Subject: [COMP] Re: Maxtor Hard Drive Problems

> But will this make any difference since the BIOS will
> still only see the first 33GB of the drive?
>
> No matter which mode (LBA, LARGE, AUTO) I use in the
> BIOS settings to access the drive, the largest it will
> see is 33512MB.

Apparently Linux doesn't use the BIOS.

Don't have an exact solution to your problem but
it sounds like the large-disk-howto would be worth
a read:

The 33.8 GB limit (August 1999)

The next hurdle comes with a size over 33.8 GB. The problem is that
      with the default 16 heads and 63 sectors/track this corresponds to a
      number of cylinders of more than 65535, which does not fit into a short.
      Most BIOSes in existence today can't handle such disks. (See, e.g., Asus
upgrades
      for new flash images that work.) Linux kernels older than 2.2.14 / 2.3.21
      need a patch. See IDE problems with 34+ GB disks below.

From part 4 - you can find it at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO.html

> I take it motherboard manufacturers do not quote
> how large a disk their BIOS will recognise for a
> particular board, yes?

Yes.  Probably because they don't know what the specs "five
years from the time of this writing" are going to be.

--
Mark