[chaoscope] Re: Using chaoscope in graphic design

  • From: Kay Dekker <kaydekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:44:18 +0000 (GMT)

Taylor wrote:
> It would be nice to have an "invert colors" right click command for
> rendering (it should be mathematically simple as it's just RGB tweaking).
> But yes, it's easy enough to grab the complementary colors and build a
> gradient that way.  It requires understanding how Chaoscope uses gradients
> (and how to build a text file for one) and how to get RGB values for colors
> (and their complements), but none of that is too hard if you have Photoshop
> (and the color picker tool on a color wheel) and a text editor to look at
> existing gradients and make your own.  (Then load it into Chaoscope.)

One problem with the way that Chaoscope does colourmaps is that it's
incompatible with the way that just about everyone from the early days of
Fractint onwards has handled them. If anyone doesn't know this standard format,
it's a list of 256 newline-terminated (usually space-separated) triples of
integers 0-255 for red, green and blue intensities respectively, with the
colour index given implicitly by the line position of the triple in the list.
Harder to describe accurately than to understand!

This makes it almost impossible to use widely-available tools such as FIntMap
and ApoMap to edit Chaoscope's abbreviated colour files. I can see that the
Chaoscope way of doing things has the elegance of terseness,   but disk space
is very cheap nowadays, and I don't see that we gain anything by being
incompatible.

Just throwing a point of view into the discussion...

Kay