[chaoscope] Re: Using chaoscope in graphic design

  • From: Kay Dekker <kaydekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:31:59 +0000 (GMT)

Taylor wrote:
> I'd love to have fine-grained control over the gradients, like Photoshop
> has.  (Movable knots of color value along a slider, where you can change the
> position and value of each point on the gradient curve.)  I suspect that
> Chaoscope's current system isn't quite the final draft of gradient handling,
> though.  It's like the lighting; it's there, if you fiddle with the text
> files, it's manageable, but it's pretty much bare bones functional.

There's already a tool out there that gives you a very similar level of
control, and more: ApoMap.

I come from an early (mid-80s) UNIX background, and I still very much approve
of the UNIX philosophy of that time: to do one thing, and to do it well. That's
why I'd argue against putting any more than simple loading and saving (oh,
maybe reversing and inverting as well, perhaps, just because we so often want
to do them quickly) of gradients/colour maps into Chaoscope. There is already
good, free, easily available software out there such as ApoMap and FIntMap to
do sophisticated gradient/colour map editing: why re-invent the wheel? The best
code is the code that doesn't need to be written!

Kay