[chaoscope] Re: Using chaoscope in graphic design

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:29:21 +0100

Hi Kay, hello everyone,

One problem with the way that Chaoscope does colourmaps is that it's
incompatible with the way that just about everyone from the early
days of Fractint onwards has handled them. If anyone doesn't know
this standard format, it's a list of 256 newline-terminated (usually
space-separated) triples of integers 0-255 for red, green and blue
intensities respectively, with the colour index given implicitly by
the line position of the triple in the list. Harder to describe
accurately than to understand!

This makes it almost impossible to use widely-available tools such as
FIntMap and ApoMap to edit Chaoscope's abbreviated colour files. I
can see that the Chaoscope way of doing things has the elegance of
terseness,   but disk space is very cheap nowadays, and I don't see
that we gain anything by being incompatible.

You can load FractINT compatible map files by double-clicking on a gradient or right-clicking to bring the popup menu and choose "Load". A four letters acronym suddenly comes to my mind but I won't use it here as it includes an expletive. ;-)

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez