[chaoscope] Re: Next Version?

  • From: Kay Dekker <kaydekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:53:38 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Nicolas,

I'm a bit nervous about writing this, because after all Chaoscope is *your*
baby, but...

It's great to be a perfectionist. And thank you for the list of what's coming
in 0.4 - BUT!

Much all the traffic while I've been a list member has been "When's the next
version coming?" And recently, that's been nearly *all* the traffic.

It's nearly three years now since 0.3.1 was released. Looking at the list of
features, there are eight that are apparently done (one marked "broken"); ten
to do; and four to maybe do. If we're currently less than half-way through the
list of forthcoming features, does that mean that it's going to be another
three years or so before 0.4?

I think that Chaoscope needs a new beta release before then, and I think that
preferably it should come relatively soon. You have an immensely strong and
devoted fan base (if you don't mind the term!) and they're sitting around,
drumming their fingers and waiting, when they could be helping to test out some
of your new code.

Yes, of course, some of it will break in their hands - but that's what beta
code is *for*, no? It looks to me from the list of features that the material
which is already done should be easily separable from the stuff that's in
progress, so will you at least consider putting out a beta release with those
finished features so that we can start *our* job of finding out where it breaks?

One final, specific, question: why limit multithreading to two threads, when
quad-core processors are becoming increasingly common?

Best wishes,

Kay