[chaoscope] Re: New user, and a few questions...

  • From: "Don Goyette" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:24:17 -0700

Howdy Nicolas and all,

Am really enjoying playing with Chaoscope -- this is a super program Nicolas -- great job <great big smile>!

Here are some of my Chaoscope-generated images (no post-processing): http://s94992504.onlinehome.us/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=49. Once I figured out that I could actually save my projects (duhhh), I started to. So most of the images have associated project files, but some don't. If anyone would like a project file, just say so and I'll post it if I have it <smile>.

Just joined the mailing list a few days ago. Thanks for setting up this avenue of communication for us users, Nicolas.

> Nicolas wrote:
> It would make sense to keep the last used
  gradients/lights setup for each render modes.
  Anyone in favour of this?

My hand is raised <smile>. It would also be a great help if Chaoscope allowed us to save / load the color settings defined in Solid mode, much like loading a gradient map in Light and Plasma modes. You could simply store the hex color values in an ASCII text file.

> Nicolas wrote:
> It would mean we'd need a "reset to default"
  function for both render setups and parameters.

Definately. How about a small, iconized "reset" button next to the specific settings to be reset -- either individually or in groups?

> Nicolas wrote:
> Here's an up-to-date development roadmap (0.4):
> - Color editor
> - Gradient editor/browser
> - Timed rendering
> - Rendering stopped when specific amount of frustum hits is reached
> - Anti-Alias optional for all modes

These would be my favorites, for sure.

> - Color editor

For all three colored modes (Light, Plasma AND Solid)? I would love the ability to define specific colors to specific portions of a fractal image but selecting a complete gradient map, full of different colors, can be a very time-consuming task.

Thus, I was going to ask if there would be some way to allow the user to select the Edit Color tool (like the existing Selection Arrow Tool or Zoom tool), then click a spot on the image, and have the color-picker pop-up, allowing the user to change that specific color. Chaoscope would need to interpret the color pixel that was clicked on, so the BASE color is displayed / modified, and not the program-generated shaded / highlighted color. In other words, it would need to be semi-intelligent, internally.

> - Gradient editor/browser

This would also be a great time-saver. I've downloaded hundreds of usable gradient maps from various web sites, but there is no easy way to VISUALLY browse through them and select one.

> - Light editor, interface to position lights in Solid mode

Super idea! In the past, I've used Xara's Xara3D (ver. 3) program to create 3D text for the web. It has a very easy to use click-and-drag interface for defining both light COLOR and POSITION. Not sure if the current version uses the same interface though.

> - Opacity optional for Solid Mode

How would this be different than the existing Opacity slider? Just allow it to be set to zero, no?

On another note Nicolas, I'm an ex-programmer (mostly business and database on big-iron hardware), currently on disability (since 1995). I'd love to provide any assistance that I am able to ... free of charge of course. I'm no super-coder on PCs but I could probably help with dialog boxes and simple stuff like that ... if MS Visual Studio 2005 Std, or VS 2003 Pro can be used. Just let me know (don ...at... donandcarla . com).

Cheers,

-Don G.