[chaoscope] Re: New user, and a few questions...

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:00:17 +0000

Howdy Don, hello all,

My hand is raised <smile>. It would also be a great help if Chaoscope allowed us to save / load the color settings defined in Solid mode, much like loading a gradient map in Light and Plasma modes. You could simply store the hex color values in an ASCII text file.

You can save the color settings (and/or the lights settings) separately as a csview file. Once you have a color set you like, go to File->Save As..., select "View Settings" in the file type drop down list, then save the file. Follow the steps described in the fifth chapter of the manual to remove anything you don't need from the View Settings file. The next time you load the .csview file (you need to open or create a project first) its contents will replace the current View Settings. Does anyone feel this process isn't well documented?

Definately. How about a small, iconized "reset" button next to the specific settings to be reset -- either individually or in groups?

Yes or a menu item. The most important part is you should have the ability to choose your default settings for each render mode and this will be easy enough to implement.

For all three colored modes (Light, Plasma AND Solid)? I would love the ability to define specific colors to specific portions of a fractal image but selecting a complete gradient map, full of different colors, can be a very time-consuming task.

It would be a standard color editor, RGB or HSV, three sliders, maybe a color swatch somewhere, allowing you to edit any colors (from a gradient, a light or a Solid color) directly.

Thus, I was going to ask if there would be some way to allow the user to select the Edit Color tool (like the existing Selection Arrow Tool or Zoom tool), then click a spot on the image, and have the color-picker pop-up, allowing the user to change that specific color. Chaoscope would need to interpret the color pixel that was clicked on, so the BASE color is displayed / modified, and not the program-generated shaded / highlighted color. In other words, it would need to be semi-intelligent, internally.

Semi-intelligent, just like me! :-)
I know what you mean, point to a pixel on the screen, guess the position in the gradient. It would be impossible with Light and Plasma mode because you can have hundreds of different attractor layers bearing a different color each with different intensity, you can see how hard it would be to extract any information from it. Gas and Liquid is feasible but we'd need an extra channel to store the gradient position.

How would this be different than the existing Opacity slider? Just allow it to be set to zero, no?

Opacity to a high value. The difference is no opacity means less memory used and faster rendering. It also means when Anti-Aliasing is on the alpha channel is used for "almost-perfect" anti-aliasing of the attractor outside edges rather than for the variable transparency.

On another note Nicolas, I'm an ex-programmer (mostly business and database on big-iron hardware), currently on disability (since 1995). I'd love to provide any assistance that I am able to ... free of charge of course. I'm no super-coder on PCs but I could probably help with dialog boxes and simple stuff like that ... if MS Visual Studio 2005 Std, or VS 2003 Pro can be used. Just let me know (don ...at... donandcarla . com).

I develop on C++ Builder 4.0 which is rather obsolete but does the job for now. I may migrate to a different development platform in the far future when it will be time to port Chaoscope to other operating systems. You could definitely be helpful with beta testing so remember to put your candidature forward when beta testing is announced!

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez