<CT> Re: Windes 2000

  • From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:55:53 -0500

Re Martin B. Brilliant's last email, Ah!, now I understand the full meaning
of your previous email describing Windes 2000:
===>snip<===
I can verify that. I installed it and tried it out many months ago. I
happened to do something that crashed it, and it bombed with a BASIC
error message into BASIC code. That's DOS BASIC. It has a cartoon-
like imitation of the Win95 GUI and a few very crude built-in
applications, and that's all. It won't run any other programs, not
even DOS apps.
===========
... that because of the BASIC err message, it turns out to be just a BASIC
program.  I guess it was I who got hooked onto the word "clone".  Also,
going back to where I picked up that key-word, from 386 World
(http://www.halspastill.com/386/windes2k.shtml) I find Gaute Kvalnes
actually wrote this:
"The Windes desktop resembles the look of MS Windows 95 and above. " and
"Windes 2000 may be worth checking out if you want a user-friendly
interface, but don't expect it to be a Windows clone. It's a light-weight
replacement when it comes to features, but not in performance."

        Well, that ends that!  -Bill