<CT> Re: Windes 2000 & LFNs

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:01:23 -0500

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:35:10 -0500, "Wayne Pratt"
<wpratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marty, have you used it? I never heard of it before this subject came
> up on the mailing list. For a 286, it just seems like it isn't that
> bad. Do you prefer plain DOS or Windows 3.0? I'm still curious about
> it but not that curious for $30

Well, "used it" is assuming a lot. I tried the English and French
trial versions when it was mentioned in this list early in 2000, and
decided they were useless.

I just tried the English version again. It will run DOS programs, but
don't display correctly. There is one built-in application, called
Write, with the usual File menu, and a Text menu that just gives a
choice of colors.

Does anybody know how to get a color screenshot in DOS? I took one in
Windows 98, but the mouse doesn't work in that environment.

Do I prefer DOS or Windows 3.0? For many tasks I prefer DOS. The only
thing I prefer about Windows 3.0 is the chessboard wallpaper. I'm
actually running Windows 98 (second edition) because the
functionality I need is not available in Windows 3.x, and I had to
upgrade from Windows 95 when I installed a CPU chip that was
incompatible with Windows 95 at its rated speed.

Here's how it came about. I became interested in Calmira because my
wife preferred DOS, but had Windows 98 (which she didn't use much) on
her desktop machine at work. I thought Calmira might help move her to
Windows on her home 386SX. No such luck. She was actually using
NetTamer and Arachne (in DOS), but when she decided she needed faster
Internet access, we got a cable modem. I had to get a faster CPU, and
she had to jump to Windows Me, to be compatible with it.

I have Windows NT 3.1 on a machine in the basement; I might try
Calmira on it if I have time.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ