<CT> Re: CT Nostalgia - Fifth Anniversary?

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:01:01 +0200 (CEST)

> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 16:43:52 -0500
> From: Joshua Brannon <jbrannon@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: CT Nostalgia - Fifth Anniversary?

> > Windows 3.1x and thus
> > Calmira are now virtually banned to the 386 rigs, which aren't
> > networked (got a 3C529-TP for my PS/2 P70, anyone?) and thus not
used.
> > (I admit, a PC with no Internet connection is a rather boring thing
> > me ;)

> I've got a 3C579-TP. I don't know if that'd work or not
> in your
> situation, but email offlist if you're interested.

A 3C579-TP appears to be an EISA card, I'd need Microchannel (MCA).

> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:46:34 +0200
> From: Erwin Dokter <e.dokter@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: CT Nostalgia - Fifth Anniversary?

> Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> > BTW does anyone have a clue why a Win95 or DOS bootsector in
general
> > would fail to find io.sys on a primary FAT16 partition of a few
hundred
> > megs when NT 3.51 and 4.0 are installed (on another partition),
with
> > the Win95 boot sector being loaded via NT's dual boot feature?
'cause
> > that's what happens on my 486 (5x86-133) machine.

> Please dump your boot.ini file here, it is most likely
> the cause here.

The problem is that boot.ini looks perfectly fine (see below),
Partition Magic (with which the FAT partition was created) says
everything's okay, so does TestDisk. Nevertheless I get an Invalid
system, press any key to reboot error which appears to come from the
bootsect.dos. (A Win98SE boot sector is even less talkative, just
hangs.) I'm totally at a loss here and will probably have to consult
some boot sector gurus.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT35
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT40="Windows NT Workstation,
Version 4.0"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT40="Windows NT Workstation,
Version 4.0 [VGA-Modus]" /basevideo /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT35="Windows NT Workstation,
Version 3.51" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT35="Windows NT Workstation,
Version 3.51 [VGA-Modus]" /basevideo /sos /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\NT35_T="Windows NT 3.51 Recovery"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\NT35_T="Windows NT 3.51 Recovery
[VGA-Modus]" /basevideo /sos
C:\bootsect.dos="Microsoft Windows 95" /WIN95
C:\bootsect.dos="MS-DOS" /WIN95DOS

History of that partition, AFAIR:
1. Created with PM 4.0, along qwith an empty extended partition. (This
was after replacerment of Quantum 365 meg drive with ST52520A, the FAT
partition was supposed to be the replacement of the one on the Quantum,
rest would be used with NTFS.)
2. SYSed with Win98SE boot files (worked).
3. Installed "emergency" NT 3.51, copied over stuff from old primary
drive at this point or later. Don't remember whether dual booting
worked at that point, perhaps didn't test it.
4. Had NT installer create a logical drive inside extended partition,
which gave me partition errors because apparently the partition didn't
start at the beginning of a cylinder. Deleted extened partition via
TestDisk.
5. Another NT (4.0) install, got partitioning right this time, but
alas: 512 byte clusters after CONVERT, ugh.
6. Logical drive creation inside emergency NT 3.51. 2k clusters, phew.
7. Another NT 4.0 install, boot.ini adaption to include old NT 3.51.

As I said, the dual boot worked exactly once (with only the standard
bootsect.dos entry, DOS 6.22 launched fine until the PnP manasger for
the SB32 hung up, doesn't like NT), after that I only got an error or
nothing. I don't really feel like SYSing the drive and restoring NT
booting again afterwards...

> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 01:58:02 GMT
> Subject: <CT> senior seminar desperation (very OT)
> From: mwenechanga@xxxxxxxx

> Hi folks, remember me?

Sure! :)

[...]
> I don't even know where to begin.

Now that's what I call a Real Problem[tm]. No idea whatsoever what one
might be able to do here. You didn't get to know that until
*yesterday*? Ouch.

Stephan