<CT> Re: CT Nostalgia - Fifth Anniversary?

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:33:14 +0200 (CEST)

> From: "David Burgess" <d.burgess@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> CT Nostalgia - Fifth Anniversary?
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 11:07:13 +0100

> Aren't we quite near to the fifth anniversary of this
> list? I remember that
> I joined around July '98, and the list was 2-3 months old
> at the time. I
> also remember being one of the first 50 to join, and the
> announcement that
> the list had reached the 50 mark.

> How many here are still hanging on from those early
> days?

I joined perhaps in '00 or so, can't remember. My first version of
Calmira was 3.0 when it was relatively freshly released, IIRC. (Looking
through my old mail, it seems that Digest #295 was the first I got,
that was April 26, 2000.) I'm now using WinNT4.0/Win2k almost
exclusively, you know, stability, resources, multitasking and all that.
BTW does anyone have a clue why a Win95 or DOS bootsector in general
would fail to find io.sys on a primary FAT16 partition of a few hundred
megs when NT 3.51 and 4.0 are installed (on another partition), with
the Win95 boot sector being loaded via NT's dual boot feature? 'cause
that's what happens on my 486 (5x86-133) machine. It worked ONCE and
never again after that. (Accessing the partition from a Win95A boot
disk poses no problems.) So no WfW on that machine, unfortunately. (Oh
well, I had trouble with the MIDI part of the "new" SB32 PnP anyway.)
My main workhorse is the dual rig with NT 4.0 at the moment - it's
quiet (2 fans and one not too noisy 10k drive total), stable and plenty
fast enough (one Celeron 300A at the moment, two when I can work out
some slot adapter issues; 128 megs of RAM). Windows 3.1x and thus
Calmira are now virtually banned to the 386 rigs, which aren't
networked (got a 3C529-TP for my PS/2 P70, anyone?) and thus not used.
(I admit, a PC with no Internet connection is a rather boring thing to
me ;)

Stephan